The World of Tel-Avi
Mrs. Grizelda Smythe
The wife of a village smith. She was forced to take up arms when her husband was turned into a bodak. Now she hunts the foul creatures with a vengeance, wielding a blade forged from her husband's soul.
Class (level): Gestalt Ranger (Nimrathi Irregular)/Magus (Bladebound Tovenaar) 9th
Next Level: 71,000
Age: 30 years
Hit Points: (9d10+45) = 99
Cash: 0gp, 0sp
Languages: Gael, Perbashket [Illiterate]
AC: 18 (1 Dex, 7 armor)
Attack: +11 melee, +10 ranged
- BAB: +9
- CMB: +11
- Simeon: +14/9 melee
- Damage: 1d8+5 damage, 17-20/x3 Crit
- Mystic Combat:
- Simeon: +11/6 melee
- Damage: 1d8+5 damage, 17-20/x3 Crit
- Domain Powers: +8
- Hammer: +9/4 melee (quick draw after using domain power)
- Damage: 1d4+2 damage, x3 Crit
- Simeon: +11/6 melee
- Mystic Combat (vs undead):
- Simeon: +15/11 melee
- Damage: 1d8+10 damage, 17-20/x3 Crit
- Domain Powers: +12
- Hammer: +13/8 melee (quick draw after using domain power)
- Damage: 1d4+2d6+9 damage, x3 Crit
- Simeon: +15/11 melee
- Simeon: +14/9 melee
- Fort: +14
- Ref: +11 (Evasion)
- Will: +11
- +2 vs. Undead spells and spell-like effects
- Land Speed: 30-ft.
- Initiative: +1
Skill Points: 81
- All Simple Weapons
- All Martial Weapons
- Light Armor
- Medium Armor
- He can cast magus spells while wearing light or medium armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.
Skills: Includes armor penalty
- Acrobatics (5 ranks): +2
- Climb (2 ranks): +3
- Craft [weaponsmith] (5 ranks): +11
- Handle Animal (5 ranks): +8
- Heal (2 ranks): +8
- Intimidate (5 ranks): +8
- Knowledge [local] (5 ranks): +6
- Knowledge [nature] (5 ranks): +9
- Knowledge [religion] (5 ranks): +6
- Perception (5 ranks): +13
- Ride (5 ranks): +5
- Sense Motive (0 ranks): +5
- Spellcraft (5 ranks): +9
- Stealth (5 ranks): +5
- Survival (5 ranks): +11
- Swim (2 ranks): +3
- Use Magic Device (5 ranks): +8
Classs Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Magical Device (Cha).
Improved Critical (Falcata)
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, base attack bonus +8.
Benefit: When using the weapon you selected, your threat range is doubled.
Special: You can gain Improved Critical multiple times. The effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.
This effect doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon.
Wolf Fang Strike
Prerequisite: Str 13, BAB +1, Two-weapon Fighting
Benefit: Once per encounter, when fighting with two weapons, you can make an attack with
both weapons you wield against one opponent as a standard action. Both attacks must target the same creature, and you take the normal penalties for attacking with two weapons. If your first attack drops your foe to –1 hit points or fewer, you cannot make a second attack.
Blood in the Water
Prerequisite: Wolf Fang Strike
Benefit: When you score a critical hit against an opponent, you enter a near frenzied state from the sight and smell of blood. You gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls. Because this is an untyped bonus, it stacks with each successful critical hit you score. If you go more than 1 minute without achieving a critical hit, your bonus resets to 0.
Prerequisite: Black Blade class ability
Benefit: While you hold your black blade, you cannot be flanked. Your black blade guides your defenses, which allows you to hold off opponents though they attack from both sides.
Benefit: +2 on Fortitude saves.
Benefit: +2 on Reflex saves.
Quick Draw [Bonus]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
Benefit: You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.
A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow).
Alchemical items, potions, scrolls, and wands cannot be drawn quickly using this feat.
Two-Weapon Fighting [Bonus]
Prerequisite: Dex 15.
Benefit: Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hand lessens by 2 and the one for your off hand lessens by 6. See Two-Weapon Fighting.
Improved Two-Weapon Fighting [Bonus]
Prerequisites: Dex 17, Two-Weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit: In addition to the standard single extra attack you get with an off-hand weapon, you get a second attack with it, albeit at a –5 penalty.
Normal: Without this feat, you can only get a single extra attack with an off-hand weapon.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage from exhaustion; Constitution checks made to continue running; Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march; Constitution checks made to hold your breath; Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst; Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments; and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation.
You may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
Normal: A character without this feat who sleeps in medium or heavier armor is fatigued the next day.
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on Perception and Sense Motive skill checks. If you have 10 or more ranks in one of these skills, the bonus increases to +4 for that skill.
Finding Simeon [Campaign Trait]
Benefit: +1 hit point and +1 skill point per level.
Enemy of the Undead [Regional Trait]
Benefit: You gain a +2 trait bonus on saving throws against any spells or spell-like abilities from an undead creature.
Undead Slayer [Religion Trait]
Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus on weapon damage against undead.
- Human Traits
- Favored Class: +1 point to arcane pool per 4 levels.
- Ranger Spells: save DC 13 + spell level, Caster level 6th
- 1st level: 4/day
- 2nd level: 3/day
Spells (Sp): At 4th level, a Nirmathi irregular increases his number of spells per day by +1 for every spell level. This means the irregular gets at least 1 spell per day as soon as he gains access to a level of spells, even if Table: Ranger lists 0 for spells per day.
A Nirmathi irregular also learns to draw upon druidic magic, perhaps from association with the druids of Crystalhurst or a natural connection to the magic of the Fangwood. Each day when the ranger prepares spells, he may choose one druid spell and prepare it as if it were on the ranger spell list as a ranger spell of its druid spell level.
Arcane Pool (Su): At 1st level, the magus gains a reservoir of mystical arcane energy that he can draw upon to fuel his powers and enhance his weapon. This arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/3 his magus level + his Intelligence modifier (6 points). The pool refreshes once per day when the magus prepares his spells.
A magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +3 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves. These bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal.
Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property’s base price modifier. These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the arcane pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the magus uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the weapon is wielded by anyone other than the magus.
A magus can only enhance one weapon in this way at one time. If he uses this ability again, the first use immediately ends.
Improved Mystic Combat (Ex): At 1st level, a magus learns to use one spell-like or supernatural ability gained from a domain and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a domain power. To use this ability, the magus must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –1 penalty and can also use one spell-like or supernatural ability gained from a domain (any attack roll made as part of this power also takes this penalty). A magus can choose to use the domain power first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.
- Granted Powers: Your faith is your greatest source of protection, and you can use that faith to defend others. In addition, you receive a +2 resistance bonus on saving throws.
- Deflection Aura (Su): Once each day, you can emit a 20-foot aura for a number of rounds equal to your cleric level (9 rounds). Allies within the aura gain a +2 deflection bonus to AC and combat maneuver defense.
- Aura of Protection (Su): At 8th level, you can emit a 30-foot aura of protection for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level. You and your allies within this aura gain a +1 deflection bonus to AC and resistance 5 against all elements (acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic). TThese rounds do not need to be consecutive.
- Granted Powers: You see death not as something to be feared, but as a final rest and reward for a life well spent. The taint of undeath is a mockery of what you hold dear.
- Touch the Spirit World (Su): With a touch, you can empower a weapon to affect incorporeal creatures. The weapon touched deals half damage to incorporeal creatures, or full damage if it is a magic weapon. This benefit lasts for a number of rounds equal to your cleric level (9 rounds). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier (6/day).
- Ward Against Death (Su): At 8th level, you can emit a 30-foot aura that wards against death for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level (9 rounds). Living creatures in this area are immune to all death effects, energy drain, and effects that cause negative levels. This ward does not remove negative levels that a creature has already gained, but the negative levels have no effect while the creature is inside the warded area. These rounds do not need to be consecutive.
- Granted Powers: You see truth in the pure and burning light of the sun, and can call upon its blessing or wrath to work great deeds.
- Blinding Flash (Su): As a standard action, you can emit a flash of light from your holy symbol or divine focus. The most powerful light emanates out 20 feet from you. Creatures with fewer Hit Dice than your cleric level within this area are blinded for 1d4 rounds unless they succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 18). All creatures in this area are dazzled for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your cleric level (4 rounds). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier (6/day).
- Nimbus of Light (Su): At 8th level, you can emit a 30-foot nimbus of light for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level (9 rounds). This acts as a daylight spell. In addition, undead within this radius take an amount of damage equal to your cleric level (9 damage) each round that they remain inside the nimbus. Spells and spell-like abilities with the darkness descriptor are automatically dispelled if brought inside this nimbus. These rounds do not need to be consecutive.
- Granted Powers: You revel in ruin and devastation, and can deliver particularly destructive attacks.
- Destructive Smite (Su): You gain the supernatural ability to make a single melee attack with a morale bonus on damage rolls equal to 1/2 your cleric level (+4). You must declare the destructive smite before making the attack. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier (6/day).
- Rage (Su): At 8th level, you can enter a fearsome rage, like a barbarian, for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level (9 rounds). At 12th and 16th level, you can select one rage power. You cannot select any rage power that possesses a level requirement, but otherwise your barbarian level is equal to 1/2 your cleric level (4th). These rounds of rage stack with any rounds of rage you might have from levels of barbarian.
A barbarian can enter rage as a free action. The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive. While in rage, a barbarian gains a +4 morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, she takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the barbarian 2 hit points per Hit Dice, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in rage, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
A barbarian can end her rage as a free action and is fatigued after rage for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in the rage. A barbarian cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted but can otherwise enter rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a barbarian falls unconscious, her rage immediately ends, placing her in peril of death.
- Granted Powers: The will of the gods allows you to shake off any effect that would alter your mind or form.
- Earthly Perseverance (Su): When you fail a Fortitude or Will save, you may make another saving throw against the effect with a resistance bonus equal to your Constitution modifier (+4). This power is used as an immediate action after the first save is attempted, but before the results are revealed by the GM. You must take the second result, even if it is worse. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (3/day).
- Heavenly Perseverance (Sp): At 8th level, once per day for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier (3 rounds), you gain immunity to mind-affecting, petrification, and polymorph spells. You can activate this ability as an immediate action and the duration cannot be broken up.
Black Blade (Ex): At 3rd level, the bladebound magus’ gains a powerful sentient weapon called a black blade, whose weapon type is chosen by the magus (see sidebar). A magus with this class feature cannot take the familiar magus arcana, and cannot have a familiar of any kind, even from another class.
- Black Blade Basics: Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 10, Ego 12
- Mission: Destroy the source of the Bodak invasion.
- Languages: Gael, Abyssal, Necril
- Skills: Knowledge [arcana] (2 ranks): +7
- Senses: Normal senses (can be blinded or deafened). Save as Grizelda.
- Black Blade Arcane Pool: A black blade has an arcane pool with 3 points.
- Black Blade Strike (Sp): As a free action, the magus can spend a point from the black blade’s arcane pool to grant the black blade a +3 bonus on damage rolls for 1 minute.
- Telepathy (Su): While a magus is wielding or carrying his black blade, he can communicate telepathically with the blade in a language that the magus and the black blade share.
- Unbreakable (Ex): As long as it has at least 1 point in its arcane pool, a black blade is immune to the broken condition. If broken, the black blade is unconscious and powerless until repaired. If destroyed, the black blade can be reforged 1 week later through a special ritual that costs 200 gp per magus level. The ritual takes 24 hours to complete.
- Energy Attunement (Su): At 5th level, as a free action, a magus can spend a point of his black blade’s arcane pool to have it deal one of the following types of damage instead of weapon damage: cold, electricity, or fire. He can spend 2 points from the black blade’s arcane pool to deal sonic or force damage instead of weapon damage. This effect lasts until the start of the magus’s next turn.
- Teleport Blade (Sp): As a standard action, a magus of 9th level or higher can expend an arcane point from his or his black blade’s arcane pool, and can call his black blade from as far as 1 mile away, causing it to instantaneously teleport to his hand.
Enruned Dagger (Su): The magus may expend a point from his arcane pool to scribe a rune of power on a light weapons with which the magus is proficient. While the rune is in place, the magus can use the hand holding that weapon to complete somatic components of magus spells he casts, and it is considered to have that hand free for purposes of spell combat. The rune lasts 90 minutes.
Mystic Power (Su): The tovenaar may expend one point from his arcane pool as a swift action to regain one expended use of an ability from an inquisition that has a limited number of uses per day.
Focused Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a Nirmathi irregular selects one favored enemy (Undead). He does not gain additional favored enemies at higher levels. He does get to increase his favored enemy bonus by +2 at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level.
A ranger selects a creature type from the ranger favored enemies table. He gains a +5 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of his selected type. Likewise, he gets a +4 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against them. A ranger may make Knowledge skill checks untrained when attempting to identify these creatures.
Track (Ex): A ranger adds half his level (+4) to Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks.
Forest Ghost (Ex): At 1st level, a Nirmathi irregular adds a bonus equal to 1/2 his level (+4) on all Perception and Survival skill checks he makes while located in forest terrain.
Focused Terrain (Ex): At 3rd level, a Nirmathi irregular selects one favored terrain (Forest). He does not gain additional favored terrains at higher levels. He does get to increase his favored terrain bonus by +2 at 8th, 13th, and 18th level.
At 3rd level, a ranger may select a type of terrain from Table: Ranger Favored Terrains. The ranger gains a +4 bonus on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks when he is in this terrain. A ranger traveling through his favored terrain normally leaves no trail and cannot be tracked (though he may leave a trail if he so chooses).
Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a ranger may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.
Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect him.
Swift Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a ranger can move at his normal speed while using Survival to follow tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.
Evasion (Ex): When he reaches 9th level, a ranger can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ranger is wearing light armor, medium armor, or no armor. A helpless ranger does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Hunter’s Bond (Ex): At 4th level, a ranger forms a bond with his hunting companions. This bond allows him to spend a move action to grant half his favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the ranger’s Wisdom modifier (3 rounds). This bonus does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by his allies; they use whichever bonus is higher.
Encumberance: X lbs. (Light Load)
- Carrying Capacity:
- Light Load: 0-60 lbs.
- Medium Load: 61-120 lbs.
- Heavy Load: 121-180 lbs.
- +3 Falcata (“Simeon”, Black Blade)
- +1 Undead Bane Light Hammer
- +1 Chainmail
- Masterwork Smith’s Tools
- Artisan’s Outfit