The World of Tel-Avi
Erika "The Falconer" Varning
Class (level): Gestalt Wizard (Evoker)/Scholar 9th
Alignment: Neutral Good
Next Level: 71,000
Age: 29 years
Hit Points: (9d8+18) = 62
Cash: 0gp, 0sp
Languages: Gael, Perbashket, Jotunise, Nimedhel, Lloegran, Frejsan, Jotunhaug, Pyjeve, Salruin, Saevanha, Kymraeg, Saexe, Gwraidd, Hamarfae, Parseltongue, Aragrahk [Literate]
AC: 21 (2 Dex, 5 Int, 4 armor, 0 shield)
Attack: +6 melee, +8 ranged
- BAB: +6
- CMB: +6
- Hand Crossbow: +12 ranged, 30-ft. range
- Damage: 1d4+2 damage plus 1d4 acid or fire, 19-20/x2 Crit
- Dagger: +12/7 melee
- Damage: 1d4+3 damage, 19-20/x2 Crit
- plus 5d6 electricity damage on first attack
- Hand Crossbow: +12 ranged, 30-ft. range
- Fort: +5
- Ref: +9
- Will: +9
- +2 vs. Divination
- +3 vs. Traps
- Land Speed: 30-ft.
- Initiative: +2
Skill Points: 108
- All Simple Weapons
- Hand Crossbow
- Bluff (1 ranks): +6
- Diplomacy (1 ranks): +9
- Disable Device (9 ranks): +16
- +20 vs. Traps
- Intimidate (1 ranks): +6
- Knowledge [arcana] (9 ranks): +24
- Knowledge [engineering] (9 ranks): +21
- Knowledge [dungeoneering] (9 ranks): +21
- Knowledge [history] (9 ranks): +21
- Knowledge [the planes] (9 ranks): +21
- Knowledge [religion] (9 ranks): +21
- Knowledge [other] (0 ranks): +9
- Linguistics (9 ranks): +17
- +19 to decipher writing
- Perception (9 ranks): +19
- +23 vs. Traps
- Ride (1 rank): +3
- Sense Motive (9 ranks): +16
- Spellcraft (9 ranks): +17
- +26 to identify magic items
- Stealth (5 ranks): +14
Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Fly (Dex), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (all) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Prerequisite: Ability to cast arcane spells.
Benefit: As a swift action, you can imbue your weapons with a fraction of your power. For 1 round, your weapons deal +2 damage and are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Spell Focus (Evocation)
Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.
Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)
Prerequisite: Spell Focus.
Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select. This bonus stacks with the bonus from Spell Focus.
Familiar Range Extension
Prerequisite: Ability to acquire a familiar
Benefit: Your empathic communication with your familiar extends to a range of 100 miles.
Companion of Scrying
Prerequisite: Bonded creature
Benefit: You can scry your bonded creature as if you were using a scrying spell (this does not require a mirror or pool of water). The companion is always considered willing for purposes of saving throws and spell resistance does not apply just as if you were casting a spell upon yourself. You can cast a divination or communication spell (such as message or sending) through the bonded creature. The area or range of any spell so cast is limited by the location of the bonded creature as if it were the caster.
Prerequisite: Ability to acquire a familiar.
Benefit: You gain a second familiar.
Scribe Scroll [Bopus]
Prerequisite: Caster level 1st.
Benefit: You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes 2 hours if its base price is 250 gp or less, otherwise scribing a scroll takes 1 day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. To scribe a scroll, you must use up raw materials costing half of this base price.
See magic item creation rules for more information.
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on Perception and Sense Motive skill checks. If you have 10 or more ranks in one of these skills, the bonus increases to +4 for that skill.
Skill Focus (Knowledge [arcana]) [Bonus]
Benefit: You get a +3 bonus on all checks involving the chosen skill. If you have 10 or more ranks in that skill, this bonus increases to +6.
Greater Adept of the Society [Magic Trait]
Benefit: Gain 1 additional 0th-level spell slot.
Tortured Childhood [Campaign Trait]
Benefit: +1 on Reflex saves.
Carefully Hidden [Race Trait]
Benefit: +1 on Will saves. +2 saves vs. Divination effects.
- Medium: X are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Spells: save DC 15 + spell level, Caster level 9th
- Specialization: Evocation (DC 17 + spell level)
- Opposed Schools: Illusion, Necromancy
- 0th level (at will): 5/day + 1 Evocation
- Spellbook: Resistance†, Acid Splash, Detect Magic†, Detect Poison, Read Magic, Daze, Dancing Lights (E)†, Flare (E), Light (E), Ray of Frost (E)†, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Conjurer’s Toolbelt, Bash, Eyes of the Augur, Cauterize (E)†, Irksome Weapon (E)
- 1st level: 6/day + 1 Evocation
- Companion Cache: Mage Armor
- Spellbook: Burning Hands (E)†, Magic Missile (E)†, Mage Armor†, Shield†, Lesser Dispel Magic, Grease, True Strike, See Alignment, Hesitation, Charm Person, Enlarge Person, Touch of Gracelessness, Caustic Cloud (E), Shocking Grasp (E), Shock Shield, Summon Minor Monster, Bungle, Floating Disk (E), Damp Powder, Longshot, Reduce Person, Snapdragon Fireworks, Mental Sentinel, Fireshape
- 2nd level: 5/day + 1 Evocation
- Companion Cache: See Invisibility
- Spellbook: +9 random)
Bear’s Endurance†, Shatter (E)†, Scorching Ray (E)†, Web†, Protection from Arrows, See Invisibility†, Burning Gaze, Alter Self, Envenomed Skin, Force Club (E), Shunt, Supernatural Ward, Twisted Space, Communal Ant Haul, Pilfering Hand (E), Blood Transcription, Dust of Twilight
- 3rd level: 4/day + 1 Evocation
- Companion Cache: Fly, Communal Resist Energy
- Spellbook: Fireball (E)†, Lightning Bolt (E)†, Communal Resist Energy†, Ash Storm, Arcane Sight, Heroism, Fly, Tiny Hut (E), Troll Arms, Arcane Bow, True Aspect, Glass House, Touch Injection, Distracting Cacophony (E), Battering Blast (E), Harrowing, Sleet Storm
- 4th level: 3/day + 1 Evocation
- Companion Cache: Fire Shield
- Spellbook: Detonate (E)†, Shout (E), Stoneskin†, Gale Scythe (E), Fire Shield (E), Vitriolic Mist (E), Telekinetic Charge (E), Hurricane Blast (E), Ball Lightning (E), Control Summoned Creature, Symbol of Revelation, Scrying†, Fleshworm Infestation, Remove Curse
- 5th level: 2/day + 1 Evocation
- Companion Cache: Teleport
- Spellbook: Cone of Cold (E)†, Lightning Arc (E), Teleport†, Wreath of Blades, Summon Monster V, Echolocation, Transmute Rock to Mud
2 Hawk Familiars: (“Makalu” and “Lhotse”) Int 11, AC 23, 31 hit points, Attack (+10 talons, 1d4-2). Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak with Master, Speak with Birds, Spell Resistance 16.
- Feats: Weapon Finesse, Familiar Development, Familiar Concentration, Companion Cache (9 spell levels each), Fly-by Attack
Arcane Discovery (Penetrating Teleportation): Conjuration (teleportation) spells you cast are able to function in even the most inhospitable environments. Any time you cast a teleportation effect that would be impeded by another spell effect such as dimensional lock or teleport trap you can make a caster level check (DC 11 + the spell’s caster level) to ignore the impeding effect. You gain a -5 bonus on the percentile roll to aim your teleporation spells (which means that, as a general rule, your teleporation spells will never cause mishaps). In addition, the DC of any attempt to dispel or counter one of your teleporation spells increases by +5.
Intense Spells (Su): Whenever you cast an evocation spell that deals hit point damage, add 1/2 your wizard level to the damage (+4). This bonus only applies once to a spell, not once per missile or ray, and cannot be split between multiple missiles or rays. This bonus damage is not increased by Empower Spell or similar effects. This damage is of the same type as the spell. At 20th level, whenever you cast an evocation spell you can roll twice to penetrate a creature’s spell resistance and take the better result.
Force Missile (Sp): As a standard action you can unleash a force missile that automatically strikes a foe, as magic missile. The force missile deals 1d4+4 points of damage. This is a force effect. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier (8/day).
Elemental Wall (Sp): At 8th level, you can create a wall of energy that lasts for a number of rounds per day equal to your wizard level (9 rounds). These rounds do not need to be consecutive. This wall deals acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage, determined when you create it. The elemental wall otherwise functions like wall of fire.
Lore (Ex): A scholar adds half her class level (+4) to all Knowledge checks and may make all Knowledge checks untrained.
Smart Defense (Ex): A scholar adds her Intelligence bonus to her armor class. Any time she would lose her Dexterity bonus to AC, she loses her Int bonus, as well.
Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a scholar can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the scholar is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless scholar does not gain the benefits of evasion.
Tough-Minded (Ex): At 2nd level and above, the scholar heals one point of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma damage every 24 hours.
Identify Magic Items (Ex): At 3rd level, the scholar may use her knowledge to identify magical items. She may examine the item as with the spell detect magic, and may add her level to the Spellcraft check to determine its properties.
Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a scholar gains a +3 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +3 dodge bonus against attacks made by traps.
Trapfinding (Ex): A scholar with this secret adds half her class level (+4) to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks. A scholar can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.
Look Out (Ex): All allies within 30 feet gain the benefits of the scholar’s evasion. This only applies to allies who are aware of her presence.
Extracurricular Study (Ex): The scholar selects one skill (Stealth). That skill is considered a class skill for the scholar and gains a +1 bonus on skill checks.
Smart Weapon (Ex): The scholar can use her Int bonus instead of her Str or Dex bonus to hit with any light or one-handed weapon or any crossbow.
In the Bag (Ex): A scholar of 4th level and higher can retrieve needed items very quickly. Once per round, she may ready an item as a standard action if it would normally be a full round action, a move action if it would normally be a standard action, and a swift action if it would normally be a move action.
Decipher Script (Ex): At 5th level, the scholar gains +2 on Linguistics checks to decipher writing.
Lore Master (Ex): At 5th level, the scholar becomes a master of lore and can take 10 on any Knowledge check that she has ranks in. A scholar can choose not to take 10 and can instead roll normally. In addition, once per day, the scholar can take 20 on any Knowledge check as a standard action.
Erudition (Ex): At 7th level, the scholar’s logical mind becomes a powerful tool of persuasion. Add her modifier to Intelligence to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks, in addition to her Charisma bonus.
Encumberance: X lbs. (Light Load)
- Carrying Capacity:
- Light Load: 0-60 lbs.
- Medium Load: 61-120 lbs.
- Heavy Load: 121-180 lbs.
- +1 Spell Storing Dagger (w/ Shocking Grasp)
- Masterwork Hand Crossbow
- 10 Acid Bolts
- 10 Fire Bolts
- Masterwork Thieves’ Tools
- Spell Component Pouch
- Fine Robe
- Belt Pouch (w/ 135 solids)
- Wand of Fireballs (5th level, 7 charges)
- Traveling Spellbook (spells marked with †)
- Heavy War Horse (“Mitra’s Gift”)
- Masterwork Chain Barding
- Bit & Bridle
- Military Saddle
- Standard adventuring gear
- +1 Full Plate Armor
- Home in Gastenhall
- Spellbook (stashed at home, contains all spells above)
- Contact: profession, how you know them
Erika is the cousin of Ryan Varning, captain of Tower Balentyne’s rangers.
Erika may be the one sensible person in Talingarde, at least among the ranks of Mitra’s witch hunters. She is neither a fanatic (like Sir Fallon), nor a mad man (like Meinhard). Erika takes a longer view of things and believes that even if the battle today is lost, there will be chances to try again. As a result, the wizard has an ace up her sleeve. She has done extensive research on teleportation and anti-teleportation wards. She has a safe house prepared in Ghastenhall and will teleport the entire party there if defeat looks eminent.
Erika has mage armor almost always up (assume so if I don’t say otherwise). Erika is a disciple of the gospel of boom. She loves large impressive evocation spells and she expertly uses them at every opportunity. She always keeps a teleport spell in reserve however.